Is there anything worse than breaking a tap?
Crashing a CNC machine in a way that does costly damage is worse, certainly. But breaking a tap off in an expensive part that’s nearly finished has got to come in a close 2nd place.
I just finished the 11th episode of CNC Chef for Cutting Tool Engineering. This video gives you 7 ways to avoid breaking taps:
Watch the video for details, but my 7 ways include:
- Choose the best hole size
- Use Form Taps where possible
- Thread Mill critical and tough jobs
- Use purpose-made Tapping Lubricants
- Use the right tool holder
- Extract chips with a spiral fluted tap
- Mind the depth on blind holes
Taken together they provide a wealth of techniques that will make breaking taps far less likely in your shop.
Software that will make anyone a better CNC'er
Get Better Tool Life, Surface Finish, and Material Removal Rates Fast.
It's that easy. You can install and get results in a matter of minutes.
Like what you read on CNCCookbook?
Join 100,000+ CNC'ers! Get our latest blog posts delivered straight to your email inbox once a week for free. Plus, we’ll give you access to some great CNC reference materials including:
- Our Big List of over 200 CNC Tips and Techniques
- Our Free GCode Programming Basics Course
- And more!
Just enter your name and email address below:
100% Privacy: We will never Spam you!